Sunday, January 1, 2012

Mike Wechsler Resolution #1, #2, and #3

I rarely have done resolutions but this year seems like I would be foolish not to. There's too much at stake for my career which of course is wrapped up in the success of THE RED ROBIN and my new production company Rowish Entertainment.   So here are a few of my resolutions if you even feel like knowing...

#1:  MAKE "THE RED ROBIN" A HOUSEHOLD WORD. 

I figure if I can do this, it will be because I got this film properly seen, marketed, distributed and sold to a world-wide audience.  The next 12 months I am going to be comitted to making this a reality.  It's a lot of work but if the last 6 years of trying to make this movie has taught me anything, nothing is more important than patience, a plan and a strong product.   Without a strong product, the other 2 don't really matter.  Without patience, you will go out of your mind before getting to the finish line.  And without a plan, well you'll be sloppy and chasing your tail. 

#2:  GET NEXT 2 PROJECTS IN PREPRODUCTION BY SUMMER 2012

I am finishing a draft of a new psychological thriller as a follow up to THE RED ROBIN and this will hopefully go into production after RR has made its debut and gotten some degree of attention for me as a writer/director.  I really love the idea of shooting in one or a very few locations and being able to focus intimately on characters and their lives.  You're never distracted by 100 locations when you have 1...you really are able to know the characters the same way or even better than when they are on a stage.


I also have another script which I cowrote with comedy writing partner and I'm hoping to get this off the ground and running shortly after RR as well.  I've been writing comedy for many years and it was always my goal to be hired to write/rewrite comedy screenplays in the industry(for my writing work)  For my own labors of love, I would like to write much edgier, darker material which I would then direct(like Red Robin)   I scoff at the notion that creative people be typecast whether they are actors, writers or directors.  I think that's insane and an easy way for the money people to categorize and simplify their financial decisions.  But any creative person knows that there are different shades within each of us and that we aren't simply what we did today that defines our ability.  Perhaps leapfrogging genres is ballsy but though the tone may be dramatically 180 degrees away, the themes are always the same.  Look at anything serious or comedic I've written and there's always an underlying psychological underpinning that is driving the narrative.  (Not sure what that says about me!)  SO the next project is a romantic comedy and we are going to be hunting for an up and coming SNL or Second City star. 

#3:  FAST FROM THE NEWS FOR A BIT

The world economy has been on the brink, a new election promises more Bachmann-Gingrich-Paul freakazoids, 2011 feature film box-office is at a historic low, and 2012 is when the Mayans said it all ends.  Or was that Mel Gibson?  Seriously, I have been out of touch with world news for the last few months and though it's not being a responsible citizen to be completely out of the loop when it comes to the happenings of your country, I do recommend taking a diet(for a few months) from the news.   The minute I got plugged back in, I re-realized that news is 99.9% negative and that's what keeps the machine functioning.  Here's what I have to say to the newsmakers and "Foxbricators" of the world--you're the drug dealers of society, keeping the masses addicted to a steady supply of negativity, gloom and doom, and anti-everything.  You are the reason a lot of our population is on medication(not because those prozak commercials are sexy) Take a break or consider changing your backward ways and make news what it used to be and what it still is on McNeil/Leher report--striaghtforward, unspectacular, unbiased reporting. And sure most news isn't good news but how about making us feel that life isn't one cataclysm after another and leaven it with something optimistic.  Nobody wants to see good news?  Then why the hell are some of the most popular downloads on YOUTUBE "Babies laughing?"  Because people want to smile and laugh and be relieved of the weight of life.    Now that I'm back from production and going back to my regular routine, I am actually going to be make it more priority to unplug more often.   

No comments:

Post a Comment